Life is constantly pulling you in a thousand different directions, and it seems like it never stops.
You want to exercise more, you want to cook more, but there’s no time. Not if you want to get everything else done!
And so you’ve pushed your own health to a lower priority. Which is a shame, since you know you’d feel better if you were healthier…
Feeling Healthy Doesn’t Have to be Hard
Little things can make a big difference. And the sooner you start with small things, the sooner you’ll be able to move on to bigger things.
So, what are these “things”, anyway? I thought I would make a list of little tips, perspectives, ideas, and tasks that you can use each day to boost your health amidst the daily grind.
The more you do, the better you’ll feel!
In no particular order, I give you the list:
- Stand up and stretch at least once an hour.
- Go outside on your lunch break for fresh air.
- Do jumping jacks in the morning when you get out of bed.
- When watching TV, exercise during commercials.
- Go for a walk around the block. Or around your office building.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day.
- Take time to eat breakfast. Make a smoothie if in a rush.
- Smile at people (a cheerful heart is good medicine).
- Schedule downtime once a week.
- Every so often, drive with the windows down.
- Take a half day at work to tackle your to-do list at home.
- Go without any radio, music, or TV for an entire day.
- Use apps and programs to protect against eye strain.
- Eat brown rice instead of white.
- Take a 20 minute power nap to recharge.
- At night, put your cell phone across the room instead of on your nightstand.
- Substitute your fries for vegetables at dinner.
- Snack on fruit or veggies instead of chips.
- Tell the truth (it reduces stress levels).
- Allow yourself only one round of dessert.
- Laugh out loud at jokes (laughter is good medicine).
- Sit up straight at your desk, with your feet flat on the floor.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk to a co-worker’s desk instead of sending an email.
- Pack a healthy lunch instead of eating out every day.
- Have a regular sleep schedule (at least 6 – 7 hours).
- Get at least 10-15 minutes of sunlight each day.
- Get the occasional massage to release tension.
- Sign up for the Life In Charge email newsletter!
Okay, that last one was more of a shameless plug. But it will get you weekly emails telling you about the latest post, which will give you even more ideas for taking charge and feeling healthier.
Alright, here’s a bonus tip to make up for the shameless plug: draw a smiley face on your finger, and whenever you notice it throughout the day, take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Then smile and continue whatever you were doing.
You don’t have to do all of the things on this list, but it’s important to get started making healthy choices every day. (For more about why it’s important to get started, check out my interview with Kyle Hosford.)
This list can be expanded, too… What little things do you do every day that make you feel healthy? Leave a comment below and share what you would add to this list!